Articles of Faith
GERMANTOWN HILLS BAPTIST CHURCH
- All Scripture is verbally inspired as originally written and therefore infallible and inerrant (II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:21; Matthew 5:18; I Corinthians 2:13).The Bible is the Word of God. We cannot accept the misleading statement: “The Bible contains the Word of God.”
- There is one living and true God Who exists in three persons — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19; II Corinthians 13:14).The Father is God (I Corinthians 8:6). The Son is God (Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1,14; Hebrews 1:8-10). The Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4).
- The Lord Jesus Christ was born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:18-25: Luke 1:26-38).
- Christ rose bodily from the dead and ascended unto God the Father (Matthew 28; Mark 16; I Corinthians 15; Romans 1:4).
- Christ will return:
- First, for the “dead in Christ” who will be resurrected bodily; and for those who are alive at His coming. This resurrection not only precedes His return to earth to reign 1000 years, but also precedes the Tribulation (I Thessalonians 4:13-18, 5:9; Revelation 4:1).
- Then to reign 1000 years on the earth (Revelation 10:1-6; II Timothy 2:12).
- All men inherit a depraved nature and are lost sinners in need of salvation (Romans 3:9-19; Ephesians 2:1-3).
- God has provided salvation through offering His Son on the cross of Calvary, and allowing His blood to be shed to atone for our sins (Romans 3:25; Hebrews 9:22).
- We are saved and justified when we recognize ourselves as sinners, and we put our trust in Christ as the Son of God and His finished work on the cross of Calvary, Salvation is by grace through faith plus nothing (Romans 3:24, 4:5; Ephesians 2:8-9).
- Once saved we cannot be lost; we are eternally secure in Christ (John 3:16; Philippians 1:6; John 10:27-29; Romans 8:38-39).
- We believe that the baptism of the Holy Spirit takes place at the time of conversion and is the act of placing the believer into the body of Christ. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is not a second work of grace, nor is it necessarily manifested by unusual signs such as speaking in tongues (I Corinthians 12:13; Galatians 3:27).
- We should regularly participate at the Lord’s table (I Corinthians 11:23-32).All believers should be baptized by immersion as an act of obedience, but not for securing their salvation (Acts 2:41, 19:4-5; Matthew 28:19-20).
- The Bible teaches the eternal blessedness of the saved (John 4:14, 5:24; Ephesians 2:7).It also teaches the eternal punishment of the lost (John 5:28-29; Revelation 20:10-15; Matthew 25:46).
- The grace of God teaches us “to live soberly, righteously, godly” (Titus 2:11-13).
- Titus 2:13—Looking for the blessed hope of His returning for us.
- Colossians 3:2-3; I John 2:15-17—Setting our “affection on things above”.
- II Corinthians 6:14-18—living a life of separation from the world.
We believe in separation “unto God” (Romans 1:1; II Corinthians 6:17-18).